2013/03/29

The Last Shift

Today is my last day as a member of the university IT support staff and also my last day as a university student.

I have three hours left on my shift and then it will be over - nine and a half years of university education. Doing something for almost ten years should mean that I'm an expert at it now but I guess I put in too little effort for that. Expert before 40 is my new goal!

On Monday at 10 a.m I start my new job as a systems developer. My employer is Feat Limited ( http://www.feat-ltd.jp/ ) where I will be employee numero uno. Up until Feat has had no employees and the good workers of its mother corporation Silk Laboratory ( www.silk.co.jp ) have done all the work. If I do a good job maybe Feat will have more employees in the future.

Last September when I got my offer I was told that my primary responsibilities would be to edit the dictionary of the speech translation application Naritra ( http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/whats_new/111226_naritra.html ) but in the fast changing world of software, who knows what I really end up doing. Right now I'm just praying that I'll get some period of acclimatization before I'm expected to show results (the company (Silk that is) is too small to have the several months of in house training common at other Japanese IT firms. On the other hand, I was told I will probably be shipped of to NICT ( http://nict.go.jp/en/index.html ) for some period of time to learn about the science behind Naritra. That's an exceedingly exciting prospect (albeit probably also humiliating because of my poor math knowledge).

My tasks today are much better adapted to my level of skill and knowledge - answering questions about printing stuff, replenishing printer paper, cleaning up som directories on a server, cleaning up some real world trashcans. But, mostly reading. Front line IT-support at a pretty well run institution during spring break this is heaven.

Oh, now it's time to count the number of students using the facilities. Off to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment